Saturday, October 22, 2016

Sweet Taste of Reunion

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine browsed down a street of candy shops, the windows gleaming with spun sugar confections. Many of them seemed to her more like art than something intended to be eaten -- but then, music was art intended to be heard, no matter how pretty it looked pinned to a sheet. The road was sloped, and curved up and away from her, giving her a sense of walking towards the afternoon sun. Under her breath, she hummed a song from Amarana -- it wasn't a deliberate choice, but just a counterpoint to the swinging of the braided loop hanging from, and pinned back to her, her head. There were a lot of things she was doing her best to set aside, given the journey ahead -- she had a book under her arm with some more complicated staff tricks she intended to try out. Perhaps her failures could have been corrected then... But in the meanwhile, it was no reason not to admire the sugar flowers in the window, pulled lilies and glassy roses, looping in around themselves like a spiral.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

Viana trudged through this new city... Mariansville was it called? Yeah, that's what she though she's heard. This is one of the many places that she has searched for her... For Delphine... Ever since she left, Viana knew she had to search for her, she just had to. But now, in what seemed like the 257th location she's looked for her, she began to lose hope... But she was determined to find her dear friend that she wanted to protect. After all, she's looked out for her countless times again and again, so this was the least she could do. She was walking along, exhausted, eyes towards the pavement. She clasped her hands and brought them to her face as she prayed to Mouna that she would be graced with serenity. This always did relieve some stress for Viana. "Please... calm me with the thought of finally finding her..." she begged But her prayer was cut short when she heard a song being hummed-- a song from Amarana! Her face lit up and her eyes began to gloss over with tears as she saw her, blue braid and all: Delphine! She ran over to her with excitement and shouted her name as tears began to streak down her face. But then she tripped and feel down in front of her feet. Her judgement was clouded with the overwhelming emotions that she did not know what to do, so she did the first thing she could think of: she crawled closer and hugged her legs tight as she sobbed out of happiness.(edited)

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine heard her name called out and half-turned. She knew the voice almost instinctively, but seemed sudden and strange, like it was a voice from someone else's life -- like it couldn't be anything but a hallucination; a strange dream. Was she actually under enough stress to be having a breakdown? When she saw who had to be -- who could not be anything but -- who absolutely could not be -- Viana falling onto the cobblestone street, she had to admit that she wasn't dreaming. That was a fall worthy only of the real young guard. Delphine's heart leaped into her throat, for a moment overcome as she rushed to help her up... But found herself clung-to as Viana met her halfway. She placed a hand on the top of Viana's hair. "Vi.. Vi... Oh, don't cry, Viana!" She'd left her in Arcias; when had Viana gotten here? Why had Viana gotten here? She almost sniffled in response, but instead smiled gently and tried to pry Viana off her. "Goodness, but it's OK. What are you doing here?"

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"I-I-I'm so glad that I found you!" she choked out behind tears. "I-it's been months... and I've scoured land... so many places... B-but I finally found you!" she exclaimed, her sadness morphing into joy. She let go of Delphine's legs so she could give her a more proper hug. She lifted herself to her kness and embraced her. "Sure, it was hard... but I can say confindently now that it was worth it!"

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine sighed fondly and patted Viana's head while her midsection was hugged. Delphine didn't quite have the space to join her in kneeling on a street, attracting looks from passers-by. "Either you stand up or let me get down there, ok?" As always, she laughed a little -- though softly. She was glad to see Viana -- she couldn't help but be, knowing the girl was safe even though she'd left her in a place that she'd be confident would be safe. No matter how relieved she was, though, or how comforting Viana's devotion was on one end... Worry set in. "Now, why would you want to go do a thing like that, huh? You managed to get out of trouble in the end. Did Mom put you up to this?"(edited)

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"hehe sorry!" she scrambled as she stood up. She had a rather puzzled look on her face by her question though. "No? I took it upon myself to find you. I... couldn't just let you go wherever without feeling worried all the time, sooooo that's why I came to find you! And by Mouna am I glad to have found you! Despite all the training to being a castle guard, I wasn't too sure I could last more than a few more months running around everywhere! But wow, I don't have to worry about that, now do I?" she said with her usual goofy smile. She went in for another hug, now both standing

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

This time, Delphine returned the hug whole-heartedly, at least for that moment. She chuckled a little into Viana's shoulder, wondering how on earth fortune had managed to bring Viana there. That sort of concern was... Well. It was worth fighting for, no matter what. She still believed that, surprisingly. "Thank you, Viana, for worrying. Ha; you're probably better off with this sort of thing than I am... But you really didn't need to do that. I'm OK, ok? I"m just working with Finn to help, you know, lead us all to our deaths or save the kingdom or whichever comes first." Viana could, after all, wield a weapon. She was prepared to fight... Though, so far, she'd mainly chased after Delphine. It was sort of the work of Amarana's guard, and wiser than just dying there... Maybe if she'd been more like Viana, she could do some good. "I can't decide if you're super lucky to have found me, or if you might win the prize for queen of misfortune."(edited)

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Oh, silly, don't talk like that!" she said with a goofy giggle. She released from the hug and placed her hands on Delphine's shoulders as she looked her in the eyes now. "I'm glad to have found you! And if we have to march to our deaths, I'd rather be by your side to do it! Though, hopefully it won't come to that...I've come prepared with my bow, so I'll protect you, don't worry about that!" she said with a large smile. Then a look of confusion popped on her face as she had realized something else she had said. "But uh... who's Finn?"

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

She shook off the grip, looking away and instead giving the girl another, tighter hug when she heard that. It was one thing for her to joke about it, but... Well. Clarke had been even younger than the archer in front of her. "Don't worry so much about me... But I am glad to have you." She didn't want to be protected, not the way things had been turning out. She hardly deserved it, and push came to shove, she was the person it'd be best to see dead... But if Viana was on her side, then someone could watch out for Amarana, when the time came. Someone could see that they all knew she hadn't forgotten them. That would be enough. She pulled back and chuckled at that airheaded comment, trying not to laugh outright jeeringly, no matter how startling it was. Viana had lived in Floribar her entire life; Finn's birthday was a minor national holiday for the entire scope of Viana's life. And somehow, she'd forgotten him -- well, Delphine'd forgotten his title, so maybe it wasn't that startling. "...Prince Phineas, you know, that guy? He's in about our boat, and trying to get the country out from occupation -- and his folks, too."

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

gasp "The Prince Phineas?! Delphy, you never said Finn was the prince!!!" she sputtered out "Omigosh, does that mean I get to protect you and the prince?! YES! SCOREE~!" she exclaimed excitedly, pumping a fist in the air.

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine chuckled, and then laughed, throwing back her head as she disentangled herself from Viana. Viana was one of the few residents of Amarana who called her anything like that, and it could form -- in a strange way -- a little less sharp a reminder of what she was missing. "Yeah, that Finn. I'm sure you'll do great... But don't get too carried away, right? I bet he'll be glad to hear how excited you are you help, though," She added; the army was still so tiny, it needed all the help it can get. But they'd been drilling, and maybe even shown a little promise -- so she hoped.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Carried away? Of course not! I'll just have to try my best!" She exclaimed excitedly "... and besides, if I do get carried away, you'll tell me, right? You used to have to tell me that a lot. So, I've realized that I don't know when I get carried away, so you'll just have to help me with that, okay? A-and don't worry, I'll be sure to make it up to you and make sure you don't get too hurt! It's the least I could do." her face was glowing with the radiance of excitement and joy, something that hasn't shown on her face since Delphine left that night.

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

"Of course, of course... Come on; have you been here very long? Did you just figure that I'd go where they had the most candy, huh?" Delphine stuck her tongue out playfully, enjoying Viana's rambling with a sort of nostalgic rush. She knew it'd been chance, if Viana was looking; but the girl wouldn't have stopped, so it was probably for the best. Just like it was for the best not to tell Viana not to worry; she wouldn't hear it anyway, and so she shrugged.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

gasp "C-candy?! N-no, I just heard your humming and knew it was you... b-but nevermind that, why didn't you tell me about the candy sooner?! C'mon, show me some candyyyy~!!!"

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine laughed; she'd been kidding before, but hearing it taken so seriously made it an even better choice. She gestured to the displays on the window behind her. "You see that display? It's all surgar. This whole street is candy shops, and I have a little spare money on me for the use." She lifted the coinpurse from her belt, the gold inside jingling back and forth. She gestured broadly down the street, the slope of candy going up into the bright sunlight.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Oh, Mouna, Delphy... How... How did I not realize this entire street was candy?" she held her forehead and giggled slightly as her face turned red. "Hehe, well, as long as it's sugar it doesn't matter to me! Pick whichever kind you want!" she said in an attempt to hide her embarrassment.

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

"It's understandable; with me in the world, how can you see anything else?" Delphine said, examining the different options with a thoughtful expression. "Honestly, the last town we were in had the best sweets, but -- ooh. This one advertises a hard candy with a caramel center. That sounds good, doesn't it?" Delphine asked, stopping by a door. It was... for the best, that Viana hadn't been at the last town they'd stopped at. It felt like a rush of relief, now that she considered it. For the meanwhile, she stopped by a sign in the window, proclaiming fruit caramels and interesting candy centers.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

Viana giggled at her first comment. "Yeah, I guess that is true! You were the only thing on my mind for a second there!" she said as she scratched her head nervously. Then she eyed an advertisement that promoted a special caramel with a boysenberry jelly center. "Omigosh, Delphy can we try that one?! You know boysenberry is my favoriteee~"

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

"Sounds like a plan, then." Delphine entered into the shop and checked out the different items on display -- there were even bags of them, with different flavors -- she'd make a note of that for later. "I'll have 2 of the Peach Caramel Hard Candies, and 2 of the Boysenberry Caramels," She said to the man behind the counter, before paying for and recieving the candies in question.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

After recieving her boysenberry caramels, she immediately popped one in her mouth and relished the flavor. "Mmmmmmmmm! Here, Delphy, you just gotta try it! It's sweet and sour and caramel-ly all at the same time! It's lovelyyy~!"

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine unwrapped one and popped it in her mouth; unlike the hard-shell candy, this was made to be chewed, and quickly the flavored and unflavored caramels melded together in her mouth, sticking to her teeth until it dissolved away. "Oh, my, that is very nice; you'll need to have one of the peaches. It's got a different texture until you hit the center," She said, gesturing to the other candy she'd bought, in its wax-paper wrapper.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Ohhh really? That sounds divine!" she said as she took one of the peach caramels and tried that one too. It was even better than she thought it would be. Of course, the boysenberry was her favorite, but the peach one was surprisingly a very close second. "Wow, Delphy, it was just as you said! That was great! hehe, so is this what you've been doing the past few months? Doesn't sound too bad!" she said with a goofy smile, still chewing the candy.(edited)

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

"Well, you know me," She asked, her smile a little frail. This was where she was most natural, wasn't she? The sugar shell sat, patiently dissolving against her cheek, leaving it a little numb. "I have been in a war, you know -- but you know I can't take things too seriously." She was reproachful, using in some ways her real disappointment, but then she bounced back, ending it on a joke. There'd been places to see, and events to remember -- but she'd held life in her hands and seen it slip, seen towns riddled with bodies. This sort of moment was enjoyable because it was so far away.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Oh of course... while some may wish you were more serious, I can't help but feel happy that someone like you is here. Even with all the war and suffering around us you still have the time and energy to make people happy doing silly stuff like this... I never realized how much I missed that quality about you... I'm glad to be here, Delphine, truly." she sounded serious, but she was being more sentimental if anything. She was never super serious about much either, similar to Delphine. I suppose growing up with her rubbed a few of her traits onto her.(edited)

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine smiled softly; she'd sort of...forgotten, to think about herself that way. It was what she was best for, but she had to admit -- it'd gotten hard to keep that going. Even if it was just one person, she was glad to hear it -- like the softness of a caramel melting in her heart. "Is that so? Well, I'm glad to be of service to my faithful retainer," She said with a mock-bow, her tone abundantly teasing.

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Hehe, you should be! I didn't come all the way out here for nothing!" she said in a joking tone of voice "So keep up the good work, Delphy! You're doing a great job!" this she said seriously with a smile and a thumbs up(edited)

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

Delphine chuckled, more to herself than to anyone else -- If Viana said it, it wasn't necessarily true... But it was a real, warm feeling, and meant with a force of absolute truth. So even if Delphine didn't believe her, it was a little easier to smile. "Well, If I intended to give up, you wouldn't have had to go looking for me... Ah. I'm sorry for the trouble," She added, realizing that even though she hadn't asked for anyone to follow her, or care where she went, really (the people who would were, for the most part, all left far behind), Viana had decided to anyway. What stubborn fools Amarana breeds...

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Oh, what do you mean, silly? 'Sorry for the trouble'? What is this nonsense? I didn't come here because someone told me to, I came here because I wanted to be here with you, Delphy. No matter how silly it might be of me to go into a war like this... this is my choice and mine alone. So don't go doing something silly like blaming yourself, 'kay?" She smiled, with a goofier look than usual, if that was even possible.

LadyDeme-10/22/2016

"I meant I could have left a letter about exactly where I was going or something." Her tone was sarcastic. That was too much like her own thinking, had anyone tried to stop her, so it stung just a bit. "Of course, when I arrived, I did send one... But by then, you were already after me, huh?" Delphine said, shaking her head with a smile. The caramel finally reached her tongue, flavored with peach juice -- it was the taste of summer, deliciously sweet. "I should probably show you to camp."

Skywolf333-10/22/2016

"Yeah, a letter wouldn't've changed a thing... I still would've been looking for you regardless... B-but yeah, if you'll take me, I'd gladly like to see camp, especially the prince! I do plan on becoming his underling after all, so it seems fair enough." Viana managed a smile. Though there was definitely something nagging her... but she didn't want to believe it... "She wouldn't be so happy to see me if she was trying to run away from me, right? ... No, of course, she's happy to see me... B-but... I just hope I'm not as much of a burden on her than I was back home...This was her chance... No, don't think such things, she wants to show me around...Surely it's not like that..." Viana shook it off and smiled on, making sure not to expose how she felt. It was probably nothing, just foolish paranoia... Besides, she couldn't just turn down her offer on getting to see the camp. She could finally meet the people she traveled with, especially that prince she's heard so much about!(edited)
October 23, 2016

LadyDeme-10/23/2016

"Yes, but you wouldn't have been just randomly wandering around, where anything could have happened," Delphine pointed out. Of course, then her mother or someone would have tried to stop her -- frankly, she thought Viana would have tried to stop her. She rose from where they'd been eating and held the door to the shop open. "Well, we've got a ways to go, then; we're camped outside the city."

Skywolf333-10/23/2016

"Nothing to worry about now, the good thing is that I've found you!" she said with joy in her voice "But, yeah, showing me the camp sounds lovely! Let's go!" she said with enthusiasm as she walked outside the door that Delphine so politely held open for her. "I probably worried her now that she knows I've traveled by myself this long... b-but I'll find a way to make it up to her..." she thought

LadyDeme-10/23/2016

And so they headed out of the city, the taste of candy still lingering on the edge of Delphine's mouth, and towards the camp to show their new recruit around.
== End RP ==

No comments:

Post a Comment