Sunday, October 16, 2016

Arena Pastries

Persoon56-10/16/2016

Shortly after the...controversial end to the Arena's tournament, Churchill walked away, wrapped up in bandages and leaning on his lance to take the weight off of his left leg, which had gotten tangled in his stirrup during his last fight. "Heh, guess that was a good few matches. Can't believe I actually won one." As he started to walk down, Churchill eventually sat down at a small bench, contemplating his current state. "Wonder how I'll fare, I'm not liking the direction of it all..."

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

Valerie had just gotten out of the arena after her set of matches. She was upset more at herself for missing a strike against this other sword user which seemed to have cost her a spot into the finals. Regardless, she at least doubled her money, which was an okay consolation prize to her. She was now wandering around the town, familiar with some of the layout due to her service for the Barentian military. She was seeming to be moving okay, even if she wanted to clutch her left arm and keep it from moving. Eventually she passed by someone sitting on a bench, kind of remembering him from the Arena tournament. Valerie took a seat down on a bench next to his, though not on the same one, and made an off-hand comment of "That whole thing was brutal..."

Persoon56-10/16/2016

Almost immediately, Church sits up straight, wincing from a slash across his back. Looking over to the woman who had sat down next to him. After a short minute or two, He recognized the stranger as one of the competitors in the tourney. "You're telling me, I think that Bard had some kinda grudge against me"

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

"At least you lost to a mage; they're more... understandable than someone just like you." Valerie remarked back, some salt clear in her tone of voice. She felt she should have won that last fight...

Persoon56-10/16/2016

Oh no, I beat the magician, I lost to a troubadour, all people." Noting the salt in her voice, Churchill chuckled a little. "I will admit though, your battle in the semis, wow, that was something else." Churchill's shoulders slump a little as he remembers his embarrassing loss(edited)

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

Valerie frowned a little when he brought up her failure. "It was pathetic of me. I basically had the match in the bag, but I screwed up and lost it all." She spoke back to him. Perhaps she was being a little too hard on herself, but to someone who grew up mastering and fighting with the sword, losing like that really hurt.

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Oh come on, it was a clean match of skill, while you were faster, if you'll pardon my take, he was defter. Mine was the embarrassing one. Not only did I nearly twist my foot off in my first charge, but I was so close." Churchill slowly leaned back and sighed. "Guess I should've seen it coming"
"Sorry though, I seem to have touched a sore spot"

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

Valerie sighed as he spoke, even if he was wrong about him being more deft than she was considering her first hit against him. Regardless, she knew she was probably upsetting and boring him that she was being so sour about the whole ordeal. In an attempt to lighten the mood up, she did say "At least we weren't the saps that lost in the first round, losing their money too."

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"You aren't wrong, though it may be a bit ungracious to call them saps, some were unlucky, others were weak, I'm actually quite surprised I wasn't among them." Realizing his casual pose, Church decided to sit up straight, putting his back against the seat. "Say, aren't you working for Prince Finn?"

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

Valerie looked away, softly muttering "Sorry; just sour I lost to a careless mistake..." She really was, even if she wasn't exactly showing it right now in body language and tone of voice, but that last match of hers really boiled her blood. When the topic of Finn was brought up, she just nodded her head yes when he asked if she was working for him, but didn't want to say anything in case she got to him... again.

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Makes sense, I will admit. Just gotta learn from that mistake, am I right?" Chuckling, Churchill did what was intended as a comrade-like slap on the bag but became more of a gentle pat. "Thought I recognized you, I must admit, I'm envious of your talent. Say, do you like pastries? I used to live around here and I know a great place to grab a snack, I usually go when I'm in a dour mood. We can learn a bit about each other, better than fighting with strangers."

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

Valerie was... interested in hearing that he was from Barentia too. However, seeing him trying to be all buddy-buddy with him only reminded her of times before she went off to join Prince Finn's army. However, she didn't show any of this sorrow to Churchill as she nodded when he spoke of pastries. "I can come along, though i'm not a big fan of sweets." Valerie informed Churchill

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Really, not a fan of sweets? Fair enough I suppose. Though you should get something into your body after fight-oh, whatever you probably already know." On those last few words, Churchill slips, falling a little into a more posh voice. As he gets up and tests his wounded left leg, it buckles and he reluctantly hold it up and rest on his lance. "They also have good bread, period."

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

"I';m aware; just letting you know that beforehand." Valerie said, getting up with much more ease than him, but her left arm movements coming off as... stiff and pained. When he got up, she started to walk, saying back to him "I think I know where you mean."(edited)

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Do you now? Guess you're from around here then?" Churchill questioned as he hobbled after her. As he did so, questioned why he didn't ask her name or give his own. "Sorry for my rudeness, by the by, my name is Henry Churchill, please though, just call me Churchill" He said as he caught up to the swordwoman.

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

"Valerie, and I was in the Barentia military, hence why I know some general layouts." She spoke back to Churchill, slowing her own pace now so she wasn't leaving him in the dust.

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Ah, that'd do it." As he caught up with Valerie, he thought of the few his times in the town, remembering his more carefree days. "Conscriptee, or volunteer?"

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

"Surely you know every Barentian has to be conscripted at some point: I just stuck after the minimum service time for a while." Valerie explained back, wondering how he didn't know that.(edited)

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Oh I know, just wondered if you beat the conscription" Churchill replied, wondering if he hadn't been clear enough

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

"Of course I beat the conscription; i'm working for Prince Finn, aren't I?" She asked back, a small laugh to her voice despite the bitter memories flooding in her head. Eventually she got them to the market place without much trouble at all... she just didn't know where the pastry shops were...

Persoon56-10/16/2016

"Haha, true, true. Now let's see..." Churchill began to scan the marketplace, looking for the bakery in question. "Ah, there it is, c'mon, let's not dawdle, I think they've just finished a batch" Church starts to excitedly hobble to the shop, not paying much attention to anything else, quickly tripping and falling flat on his face

NethaEmerald-10/16/2016

When Churchill tripped in his eagerness to get something from there, Valerie offered him a hand. "Calm down there. We might need to get you to other healers after this so they can look at you some more." She said to him as she waited to help him up.

Persoon56-10/16/2016

Taking Valerie's hand, Churchill got up, composing himself and biting his tongue.
"You make a very good point, a good visit to a healer should be in order when I get back to camp. Thank you." He slowly walked over, paying close attention to the ground as he did so(edited)
October 17, 2016

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie nodded once he was up and on his feet. "In the mean time, just take it easy; it's not a race." She told him, hoping the advice wasn't going to fall on deaf ears. She began to look into the pastry shop now and noticed they mostly only had sweets... which meant she likely wasn't going to buy anything.

Persoon56-10/17/2016

"Yes, ma'am. I'll keep that in mind." Gazing at the different pastries, Church looked over at Valerie, seeing her lack of interest in the foodstuffs presented. "Heh, sorry to drag you down to this little place. I just got really hungry and thought that you might find something you might want something." Buying a small tart, he sits down and begins to eat his tart.

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie just hand waved it off, saying "Don't worry about it." as she continued to look nevertheless. Eventually, in the far, far back, hidden by other stuff, there was a plain donut. She ended up getting that, much to the confusion of the staff. When she had it in hand, she said to Churchill "See: I found something."

Persoon56-10/17/2016

Looking at Valerie, Church stifles a laugh. "Yes, you sure did." After a while, Churchill thought of a good question to test the waters with. "So, where are you from, exactly?"

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie thought about that for a moment. "I was born in _, though lost my mother just after I was born. Dad did a good job with me. Then, you know, I wound up in the military, and now here."

Persoon56-10/17/2016

"Seems like a simple enough tale. Me, I was born into a family of some small consequence and joined the military." Taking a bite out of his tart, he thought back on why he became a knight and shuddered a little bit

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie has finished her little snack very quickly, apparently being hungrier than she had previously thought. "Well, sounds like we both grew up relatively simple." She remarked, not quire sure where else to go with that train of thought.

Persoon56-10/17/2016

"Hah, if you say so." Thinking back to the original topic between the two of them he began to ponder something curious. "Say, i you don't mind me asking, but you seem to be a bit of a perfectionist with your fighting style, am I wrong?" After he finishes the question, Churchill swallows the last bit of tart, pulling out a handkerchief and wiping his face.

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie shook her head no. "You wouldn't be. I pride myself on my graceful, precise style. I haven't seen anyone else myself use the same technique, though there's probably a reason..."

Persoon56-10/17/2016

Intriguing, seems I've hit something "What reason is that?"

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

"Because it's not terribly damaging. I don't hit hard unless they have next to no armor, but that's what happens when you're naturally weak..." Valerie rambled on about. Changing the subject, she flipped the question back on him. "How easy is it to fight on horseback?"

Persoon56-10/17/2016

"Well, I've always found it a challenge to be honest. You see, I've no natural talent for fighting, as I learned early on. Fighting on horseback involves leaning properly to enhance my lances strike and, well, my leg is a testament as to my consistency there." Churchill chuckles a little with a slight smile(edited)

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie just kind of nodded along with what he was saying. "I learned from weapon testing, mostly with swords." She spoke up about the beginning of her style and how much experience she had with it all.

Persoon56-10/17/2016

Church's brow furrowed in concentration as he followed Valerie's explanation. "Lucky you. I was able to pick up pretty much melee weapon with some level of skill, but my physique definitely gave me the most advantages with the Lance. I was too clumsy to deftly swing a sword and too weak to take full advantage of an axe"

Persoon56-10/17/2016

Churchill becomes noticeably more self-conscious as to his abilities. Though there's a sort of acceptance to his voice

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie almost spoke up with something, but cut herself off when she looked at where the sun was. "Crap... I forgot all about the role-call Finn does for us; we might need to head back..." Valerie mentioned.

Persoon56-10/17/2016

"Oh? Oh yeah! Huh, guess the tournament took longer than I thought. We should talk again, seems I could benefit from some lessons." Churchill carefully gets up and begins to hobble to camp, making sure Valerie knew where she was going

NethaEmerald-10/17/2016

Valerie nodded and immediately made her way to camp, to hopefully let Finn know Churchill was on his way.

Persoon56-10/17/2016

=== RP End ===

No comments:

Post a Comment