Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Loyalty and Faith

chuklfug-Last Tuesday at 10:39 PM

It's midday, in the Port Amaron library- purportedly the greatest source of knowledge in all of Celanthus, there are no shortage of visitors and attendants who walk the halls. The section pertaining to magic and mysteries is one of the grandest, yet feels almost claustrophobic- shelves of books line up to the high ceiling, and tightly packed, giving the wide room the feel of a hundred intersecting halls. Quiet voices murmor in the background, as sages discuss their research- the array of words blend together, creating a white noise that soothes the mind and shuts out the outside world. Chairs can be found at the end of the shelves, upon one of which Albion sits- his head is buried in a book, with eyebrows furrowed in contemplation. He slumps down casually on the seat- another has been pulled over next to him, his crossed legs propped upon it as he reads. Every so often, he puts his hand upon the crystal ball that rests next to him- protectively, as if it could vanish away at any moment. The light reflects on the crystal, shining in different directions as the amethyst cloud within swirls with every touch. He raises his eyes from the tome, glancing at the faces of the nearby crowd- most pay him no mind, ingrained in their own affairs.(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Tuesday at 11:12 PM

Alexandra enters, ready to take advantage of the opportunity before her. Her own library as well as the Damonian capital's library are extensive to be sure, but this place was just as sure to house knowledge that neither had. Eager to see the literature on staffwork, Alexandra moved to the arcane sections of the library.

chuklfug-Last Tuesday at 11:24 PM

As his gaze pans about the library, Albion catches sight of a new arrival- standing tall and firm as she walks confidently through the room, the woman catches his eye instantly amidst the distracted crowd. She seemed familiar to him, but he couldn't quite place her- a soldier, perhaps? She certainly seemed the type. He tilts his head curiously as she strolls down the shelves, his eyes fixated on her for longer than he seems to realize.(edited)
October 12, 2016

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 6:30 AM

Alexandra glanced back at the shaman. She ignored his staring for now, praying to Olphira that he'd stop soon. She didn't want to have to confront an ally, especially and ally in such an important cause. She'd already snapped on someone so far, and she'd rather not it happen again. Granted, this mage probably wasn't as oppositional nor diluted. She examined the shelf, looking for a book on staffwork she hadn't read yet. She quickly found one and took a seat in a chair nearby, her armor clattering for a second before falling still ad she read.

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 9:30 PM

The woman glances at him for a brief moment, her expression as stony as before. Meeting her gaze, Albion grins widely in response- he sets the book down upon his legs, raising one hand with a cheerful wave. Yet her attention seemed to be elsewhere, and the smile drops as quickly as it had appeared. Back in Castle Davona, he was certain he had seen her guarding the halls- and on the battlefield, as well, with a staff in hand. One of the Celanthian vassals, perhaps? It never hurt to have friends in high places. Swinging his legs off of the borrowed seat, Albion slaps the book shut. He strolls over to her, stashing the crystal ball in the pocket of his newly stitched coat. "My- isn't that armor rather heavy? I don't believe we march for some time."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 9:42 PM

"No and yes," Alexandra looked up at him, stoic as ever, "This armor is special forged to be light weight and unrestrictive, so no it is not heavy. And yes, we won't be marching for a while now." Alexandra set a string to mark her page, setting it aside for now, "Surely you seek more than idle conversation?"

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 9:57 PM

Albion sits down upon the seat, remaining jovial in spite of the direct query. "I wouldn't say idle- but we should be better acquainted with our comrades, should we not?" With one hand to prop him up on the seat, he extends the other in greeting. In the corner of his eye, he peers at the tome she rests aside. "Albion. And I suppose I'm curious- what book do you have, there? Most of the guardsmen I see aren't, well... particularly scholarly."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 10:09 PM

"This is an astoundingly scarce text on staffwork," Alexandra replied, then looked around to confirm no one was listening, "Most guardsmen don't report directly to Her Majesty. My name is Alexandra De'Trivel, and I serve as the Royal Guard's representative on the Queen's Consul. You'd take care not to mention my stature outside of our little band."

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 10:39 PM

Albion's eyes widen at her remark- counselor to the queen herself? His voice is hushed, but he whispers with an excited enthusiasm. "You- oh my! Well- rest assured, your secret is safe with me." ...For a price, if need be. Albion beams- what a distinguished knight! And it was a surprise, that she would spill her titles at the drop of a hat... yet he could detect no dishonesty in her voice. In response to her remark, he lightly pulls at the flap of his coat- a tome and healing staff are concealed below. "Perhaps I should read it when you're finished- myself, I'm not quite as practiced as Delphine. Staffwork was never my... forte."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 10:46 PM

"I suppressed my talent for staffwork for most of my early years. It wasn't until my talent saved someone's life that I embraced and nurtured it. Thus, I'm more skill with a blade than with a staff," Alexandra nods

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 11:04 PM

Albion nods contemplatively. "Quite impressive. Myself... I was in the service of a Floribian count. So save for the occasional scratch, or bruise... broken bones, even, if some drunken fool tried something reckless... I never had to rely on a staff. ...It never seemed like I would need it." The gravity of the statement seems to chip at Albion's cheery disposition- by the time he finshes speaking, the smile flattens into a line. As he turns back to Alexandra, the over-the-top grin bursts out once again. "If you don't mind me asking- just who was it, that you saved? Very fortunate, to have the assistance of such a remarkable knight."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 11:19 PM

"Another noble. The guard barely managed to thwart an assassination attempt. It would've succeeded of there hadn't happen to have been a staff on display in his office," Alexandra sighed. I suppose I was wrong to expect this one to not be ridiculous. At least he tries to remain polite.

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 11:25 PM

Albion raises an eyebrow. The answer was rather guarded- and he couldn't help but pry. "Another noble? Would I be privy to their name...?"

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Wednesday at 11:39 PM

"Maxson. He's passed since then, but naturally," Alexandra blinked, "Enough of my words. What brought you to this myriad?"

chuklfug-Last Wednesday at 11:53 PM

Albion jumps at the remark, sitting up straight. "Oh! I suppose I never told you my true calling, did I?" He quickly reaches into his coat, withdrawing the crystal ball from within with a flourish- with a snap of his fingers, streaks of purple light shoot out from the orb. A few heads turn up at the disturbance- then, drop down to their books, paying the spectacle no heed. "I'm a fortune teller, by trade- and the art demands as much study as it does practice. What better opportunity than now?"(edited)
October 13, 2016

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 6:56 AM

"I'll pass. I'm not one for superstitions," Alexandra shook her head, "Even providing that you are an oracle, the future is best left to itself." Alexandra seems almost put off by the suggestion of it.

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 10:24 PM

Albion frowns, abruptly returning the crystal ball to his pocket. He seems a little dejected. "I'm afraid I can't say I've never heard that before- but then again, I can't say I've never changed someone's mind." He turns his head back to Alexandra, this time with an impish grin. "Besides- it can be rather fun. Perhaps you could try that, sometime."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 10:27 PM

"No. I'm no god nor prophet nor oracle. I've no right to know what is to come," Alexandra shook her head once, "Do you believe yourself any of the three?"

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 10:39 PM

Albion rolls his eyes, a shred of cynicism creeping into his cheerful tone. "Oh? Did all your Celanthian lords and ladies tell you as much? Perhaps- your queen. Maybe the gods themselves, when they descended from the heavens." He gestures at the book by Alexandra's side, emphasizing his point. "I would know... as much as I please. Much like you, it seems!"(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 10:47 PM

Alexandra's eyes thin a bit as she peers at Albion, "It is a personal choice. I'm more concerned with how you seem to be insulting my Faith. The gods have plans for all of us. Knowing those plans certainly won't change them."(edited)

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 11:01 PM

He shakes his head, brushing off her insistence. "So the answer is... all three. My..." Albion leans in a little- he speaks as if cutting her a deal, the tone of his voice goading her on. "Come, now. A woman of your stature... don't you aspire to be something more? Greater than a glorified guard dog? The queen's royal bloodhound?"(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 11:09 PM

"You would do well to cease such insults, before I take them to heart," Alexandra sighs audibly to demonstrate her discontent, "As for your question, I am unsure you properly grasp my position in the monarchy. The only thing higher that the queen's consul is the queen herself. Even a power grubbing sleaze would be content with my standings."

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 11:23 PM

Albion's mouth opens wide, in an expression of shock. "Insult you? Why, I would never. You mistake my good intentions." He leans in a little more, resting one arm upon the back of her seat- Albion speaks in a hushed voice, inaudible to the rest of the room. "...I merely think that you should give it some thought- don't you? Why should an experienced knight like yourself... bend the knee to a child?"(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 11:28 PM

"Out of respect for her mother and the country itself," Alexandra scowls, "Having to ask means you'll never understand. Perhaps if you become a knight you can begin to understand. Now, was there anything else you want me to refute?"

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 11:37 PM

With a sigh, Albion leans back into his seat. "There's truly no need for this unpleasantness- I'm only offering a word of advice."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 11:40 PM

"Your 'advice' sounds akin to treachery. If we were on Damonian soil, I'd have arrested you already," Alexandra fumes, her expression betraying little, "So if you wish to maintain this conversation, change the topic."

chuklfug-Last Thursday at 11:53 PM

He grumbles. And he was the superstitious one? Someone ought to remove the lance from her- "Fine, fine- a jest, nothing more. Don't doubt my loyalty to the young prince." Albion twiddles his thumbs uncomfortably, uncertain how to proceed- he was quite certain he had lost what little good will he had by now. "...Were you familiar with her mother? I'm afraid I know little about the nobility, beyond Floribar... a servant is rarely idle."(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Last Thursday at 11:57 PM

"The late queen was a strong woman. She ruled fairly and she ruled well. Truly a woman meant for the crown. She relied much less on the council than her daughter currently does. Though I suspect that is simply due to her majesty's inexperience."
October 14, 2016

chuklfug-Yesterday at 12:02 AM

Albion nods quickly, but seems unsatisfied with the answer. "Yes, yes, I've heard as much from the guards- but I was referring to you, in particular. Before she passed, were you two... close, at all?"(edited)

Appa | Very Lewd-Yesterday at 6:38 AM

"She was the queen and I was on if her guards. We talked sometimes. She was invited to functions my family'd held. About as close as you would expect of a queen and the knight that guards her door."

chuklfug-Yesterday at 7:12 PM

Sometimes? Such loyalty, she felt... to such a tenuous friend. And now a corpse. "What of her daughter, then? Is the queen's consul so... impersonal?"

Appa | Very Lewd-Yesterday at 7:33 PM

"We try to help her as best we can, but in they end we leave the decision making to her. We try to be as comforting and friendly as we can," Alexandra explained.

chuklfug-Yesterday at 7:45 PM

He scratches his chin, uncertain what to make of her- he couldn't help but wonder if she had ties she was unwilling to let on. "...I see." Albion moves to his feet, once again extending his hand to shake- this time, in farewell. "Well, then- a pleasure, Lady Alexandra. I'll leave you to your reading, now..."

Appa | Very Lewd-Yesterday at 7:58 PM

"Likewise," Alexandra extended her own, "I look forward to our continued co-operation on the battlefield." Alexandra reclaimed her book, and opened to the page.

chuklfug-Yesterday at 8:01 PM

Albion returns the handshake with a grin- with that, he walks off into the library, opting to continue his reading elsewhere. ===rp end===(edited)

No comments:

Post a Comment