Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Going Bananas


April 26, 2017
[8:44 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Just outside the kitchen, a particular black haired knight was waiting, tapping his foot. He, of course, was wearing his armor. Similarly to his partner, he'd picked up the habit during his long service to the Royal Guard. He was doing his utmost to remain patient, but this order was taking... a while. He didn't like making his partner wait for so long. He opened the kitchen door, calling in, "Cook, how much longer? I'm sure you've good reason for taking your time, but there comes a point. I hope you understand." He was met with assurance and promise of swift completion, and asked to go back outside. He complied, half frowning. Really, how long could it possibly take to batter a few fish...(edited)
[8:53 AM] LadyDeme: Delphine was heading down that way herself; she'd be on the road in not much time, heading home ahead of the group, and so she wanted to discuss the possibility of getting some food ready for when they were to leave. The hallway was slightly warm from the kitchen's heat behind the walls, the stones absorbing it. It'd be a lovely place to stop and relax, when next she came to Floribar, Delphine reflected as she picked her way down it. She spotted a man she didn't recognize getting, essentially, forced out into the hallway from the kitchen. She knew the look, and grinned as she walked up. "What are you waiting on?"
[8:57 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "A meal for miss De'Trivel, of Prince Phineas's group," He answered as he looked up. Say, she looks familiar. But how? I've not likely met her... Hmm... I'm sure it'll come to me. "They've been battering fish filets for, oh, the better part of an hour at least. I suspect a mistake was made, and the chef is too embarrassed to admit it."
[9:09 AM] LadyDeme: "Possibly. But they have to feed more than just Alexandra, you know. Though that probably won't help anyone," she pointed out -- casually namedropping that she knew Alexandra, in case that opened the fellow up a little. Kitchen staff worked pretty hard, and the job never seemed to be over. Delphine paused a moment to swing her long blue braid forward before she leaned up against the wall. She hardly wished for tugs and jolts as she examined the stranger. She hadn't met this man before, which got her a little bit curious. Even if he was Florette staff, it'd be good to know someone -- besides the prince himself -- when next she was in the capitol, after all... But then again, his livery suggested otherwise. Her blue-green eyes focused in on him curiously. "I can try sweet-talking them, if you like, mister...?"
[9:21 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Ah, so you know Alexandra personally!" Julius smiled wide, his blue eyes brightening, "I am Julius Veraldinan, a pleasure to meet you." He extends a calloused yet welcoming hand, "Hmm... Let me guess..." He stroked his short beard hair, pondering. She must be familiar from that note Alexandra wrote to me... But who... Blue hair. That's down to two... The rider and the cleric... Alexandra never mentioned being close to the rider, and this woman doesn't much look the type, so... "...Delphine?" He closes one eye and grits his teeth, as though expecting to be wrong and get smacked for it.
[9:51 AM] LadyDeme: "So you're her lover, then! It's a pleasure to meet you." Delphine clapped her hands at the introduction. She let him work it out without announcing it, instead just propping one foot up on the wall so she could take the weight of bouncing around, trying to make arrangements, off of it... Even if it wasn't a weight she didn't want someone else to notice. Her preperations and concerns were slightly different -- the matter of direct transport, she could leave to Maurice, after all. "Got it in one, naturally. So you've been told of Finn's little band, then?"(edited)
[9:57 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Ah, phew," He gave a relieved breath, "I'd almost thought I'd mixed the names up. It is truly an honor to meet someone Alexandra holds in such high regard." "I have, yes. Alexandra sent out a handful of letters to the capital. The one I received was nearly a small novel. I addition to writing to me, she also wrote of those who are and have been in the Prince's guard."
[10:16 AM] LadyDeme: "Ah, you both flatter me," Delphine said, giving an idle wave of her hand. She wondered, faintly, who she might have been given parallel with close enough that he was concerned. "I see... There's... an unfortunate number of 'have-beens.' Though, it's not all so bleak for it. Was she writing you all the while, or only when she resolved to face things?" Oh, though it occured to her then that, well. 'Things' involved him rather intimately, due to being intimately involved with him. "Congratulations are in order, naturally. I think I can't ask if you're nervous our excited -- I'm going to guess both, under the circumstances."
[10:26 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "She wrote once, on the way to Floribar castle once she'd finally resolved to cease hiding it. After encouragement from yourself, according to her letter," Julius informed, smile persisting, "I'm glad that she was able to figure a way to handle things. Fortunately, Queen Isabella was very lenient." "I, personally, am overjoyed. I'm sure Alexandra expressed how, after so long, we'd assumed a child impossible for us. Though she's been forced to trade one aspiration for another, I feel it will make her happier in the long run. Eventually, we all have to step down from our posts regardless. But families are much more persistent." He chuckled fondly, "Ah, the little archer maiden. Val- no, Viana? Yes. She did give me a bit of a fright, suggesting Alexandra was carrying twins. I suppose we won't know for sure until after the fact, but leaping from none too two children is a rather tremendous change."
[12:29 PM] LadyDeme: "Ah, I see... I'm relieved to hear things went well enough; even though I encouraged her on it, to be honest.... I was a little worried. On the other hand, things would have certainly been worse without that honesty," She admitted with a sigh. She personally believed in going for the option that had hope of an acceptable outcome... But that the best outcome was good didn't stop the worst from being bad. Of course, Delphine wasn't wholly sure how it balanced, but things seemed settled enough. Even if she had to enter her retirement early, it was better than a number of issues that could have arisen without mentioning it. At the mention of Viana, she chuckled. "Viana got you worried, then? Well, she has a point. You need to be prepared for anything, with children.Once you think you've passed one hurdle, you'll end up with something unexpected ..." She wondered, why now, she thought about her own father. Who'd basically balked at the unexpected nature of his child. Maybe, had she been a more athletic girl...
"Have you come to whisk her off for safekeeping, then?"
[12:39 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "She'll be traveling back with the other messengers that I arrived with. A portion of the lenience was on the promise of my replacing her as Damona's representative," Julius explained, "And you do have a point. Just because I'd like it a bit easier, doesn't mean it will be so. Only Olphira knows." A racket from the kitchen came calling for Julius. He gave a short bow, turning to the door, "I'll be but a moment." Returning, he carried a plate with three battered filets on it, "Finally. You know, speaking of my dearest dandelion, she'd been hoping to talk to you. Ever since she last talked with Lady Cawdor."
[1:18 PM] LadyDeme: "Ah, well: welcome aboard, then. We're glad to have continuing aid from Damona," She gave a little nod. At long last, the promised fish arrived, and she straightened on up. Her own provisions were perfectly able to wait. ...Honestly, she'd be a little sad to see Alexandra go. At the very least, she'd wanted advice -- while the difference between the situation in Amarana and the situation in Damona couldn't be more different... She'd seen an ascending noble through her succession. And Delphine's wanted a bit more advice. So her smile might have been a bit strained for a moment... And then totally sincere. "Your dearest dandelion, huh? How precious... I think I need to speak with 'Lady Cawdor' myself. But that'll wait. First, then, let's go deliver those fish fillets." She pushed herself off the wall and began walking down the hallway, slowly at first.(edited)
[1:48 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Aye, let's," Julius nods, holding the plate, fork and knife in both hands. He spoke calmly, evenly, seriously, "Lady Cawdor, she seems very troubled. Alexandra's explicitly stated how much she worries for the young woman, and talking to her myself, I get inklings of the same." "But that's another wolf to tame entirely," Julius smiled again, returning to his boisterous and friendly demeanor, "As for yourself, lighten up. I can see it written all over your face. Alexandra feels the same, she'll miss you just as much, maybe even more. Though she's come to grips with her situation, it still pains her to have to go. But no amount of worrying nor missing will change what is real." "Besides, I'm certain this isn't the last time you'll see each other."
[2:15 PM] LadyDeme: "Indeed. I'm an old friend, so I'd like to think there's something I can do... But that's another matter." It had only shown for a second -- but even that had been too long. Being told to lighten up, when she'd already begun smiling sincerely again rankled her: that she had not been allowed the comfort of her concerns for a moment without being scolded. Being advised to do things she'd already done. But this didn't display for even a second. So she laughed it off, warm and sincere as anything -- and with the finality of a door shutting. She didn't want to trouble him, after all. "I'm busy being amused by her being a dandelion. Still, you misunderstand me. It's not that I think I'll never see her again, or anything of the sort. Just as I'm sure she'll be able to manage."(edited)
[2:32 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Old friends are the best friends. Alexandra and I have been acquainted since we were trainees gearing up to try and join the guard! She used to hate my guts, couldn't stand my joking!" He laughed, then calmed and fondly recalled, "But so much has changed since then. We realized it was love, not hate and things went from there. And now we're to be parents together." "Ah, forgive me then. Sometimes I reqd too deeply or too quickly and misunderstand or have to make assumptions."
[3:12 PM] LadyDeme: "Ah, how sweet! An attraction that masked itself in dislike is a complicated sort of feeling, isn't it? Persephone and I are mainly pen-pals; we met at certain functions, and were the kids on the outs... It's probably not for love that we sometimes are polar opposites on our opinions, but... I think she thinks of me as trustworthy, even if I'm a bit odd." That Persephone probably didn't understand her was one thing that had always been a little funny to her. But then again, that was, itself, somewhat ordinary. But that she was friends with her regardless had always been a little comforting. Delphine stretched out her back. "Indeed. In this case, you were pretty off-the-mark about what was on my mind -- or, how much it mattered, so don't go fretting about me. After all, I'd like to see the baby when it's born, so don't go thinking she can get rid of me that easily."(edited)
[8:07 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: He chuckled, cutting off when he nearly fumbled the plate, then continuing, "I think you'll both have at least one more pen-pal after this. From what I know of you, you are definitely trustworthy. You were, after all, one of the first people Alexandra confessed to. Though I've heard nothing to make me think you odd." "You'll certainly be welcome whenever you wish to visit, I can't imagine ever turn away one of my rainbow ladybug's friends. Though, I hope you'll come to visit more than just the baby. I will, however, surpress my habit of reading in to expressions. I doubt it will be needed here anyhow." Julius stopped near a door, "Hmm... I think this is the one..." Let's see... blue striped flower pot... blue striped flower pot... Ahaha! There it is. "Yes, it is." Well, unless there's more than one blue striped flower pot in the castle. But the odds of that are... actually reasonably high... Hehe...
[8:47 PM] LadyDeme: "I look forward to it." Being called not odd was nice, in a way... Disappointing in others. An interesting feeling. "It might just be Persephone's vision of the world... But then again, I can't precisely say I'm the typical noblewoman, either. Nor do I have any interest in saying it," she explained with a laugh. She grinned and giggled at 'rainbow ladybug.' That sort of thing was just too adorable, she couldn't stand it! They'd moved from the noisy, practical stretches of castle into a more quiet section. Soothed. The plants in the pots were all new, a bustle and fluster of people once again trying to make it seem like this hadn't been a battlefield, and occupied by foriegn warlords for whom the livability of the castle was meaningless. And so, they put flower pots vefore the rooms. "Naturally, naturally... Though, I think it's less you need to supress it, and more you need to think it through. Consider: you looked worried while you were looking around there for a moment. It'd do no good to tell you to stop fretting about whether she'll have twins, just from that, right? We're all fools and messes in our own way, but it's no good scolding someone for a half-second." Delphine was not a knocker -- she opened the door for Julius, whether it was the right room or not. After all, you could apologize to a disturbed person, but it made things a bit more interesting this way. "Let's hope you're right."
[8:55 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: They're met with the rather pecular scene of a presumably nude man covered in a pile of fruits, one of which he has begun peeling and eating. Looking rather confused, he sits up, sure to keep the fruit covering himself, "You are not Isodore... Neither of you..." He looks around, the shock still setting in. Pulling a blanket over himself, he clears his throat, "Well... This is rather, ah... awkward..."
[8:56 PM] LadyDeme: Delphine shrugged.
[9:00 PM] LadyDeme: Not even the weirdest thing she thought might have happened behind a random closed door. She didn't even look embaressed, just somewhat amused. This would be a fun one to tell for a while yet -- no names, naturally. "Our error, no worries." She gave him a wink. "We'll leave you to it, and let Isodore know you've been waiting if we see... Her? Him? Well, no matter. Have fun." And then she took a step or two back, and closed the door.(edited)
[9:00 PM] LadyDeme: She shrugged again.
[9:19 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Julius very carefully moves aside the striped vase, setting down the plate and untensils. He then promptly doubles over laughing. A loud, bellowing, hardy laughter that Isodore's lover could most certainly hear, though that wasn't Julius's exact intention. He just couldn't help himself. By the time he winds down, his cheeks are cherries and his eyes are watery. Wiping away a few tears, he stands up straight again and gives a few more exhausted laughs before taking the plate back up, "Never in my life have I seen anything quite like that! I doubt I'll ever really forget it either." He takes a deep breath, dispelling the laughter once and for all, "Alright, now. Where were we? Ah yes, everyone's a fool in their own way?" Some more than others, it seems. "I'll keep better tact. This is not the environment I'm accustomed to working in, and it was silly of me to treat it as such. Now, to the next blue striped vase."
April 27, 2017
[5:19 AM] LadyDeme: She could have kept a straight face. She was sure of it. At least until they'd been further down the hall, or maybe when she was having drinks with someone. She could have saved it for the retelling. But. Then he started laughing, and it cascaded over her. Her concern over the poor guy's feelings broke. "Shush! He'll hear -- don't be -- " Delphine laughed too hard to finish, batting at Julius's arm instead, totally unable to practice as she preached. She threw her head back when she laughs, leaning against the door, arms crossed over her midsection. The last laugh was just a contented sigh before she pushed herself off the wall. "Sorry!" She shouted back through the door before they left. "Oh, I've seen the like. Mostly for paintings, though... But I'm more of a "thin layer of silk" woman myself." There was, after all, at least one painting with herself in a not dissimilar positions. Less suggestive bannanas, though in her case, they'd probably be suggestive... She wasn't entirely sure what the most yonic of fruits would be, and pondered this out as the walked. The answer, though, would likely be a flower. After all, 'every woman is an orchid' had been a striking line she'd read once, and that did possess a charming image... "Well, you're on the luxury of joining us under orders, and after our greatest success. The rest of us, by and large, came when odds of success were criminally low, and of our own accord... But we're effective fools, when the day is done: perhaps the best you can do is be foolish without regret." They walked along, looking for the next blue striped vase. "I know you're one of Damona's royal guardsmen, but what exactly are you used to?"(edited)
[5:43 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Silk you say? I'm more partial to cuddling under layers of blankets," Julius snickers, grinning. "Ah, but you misunderstand. I volunteered to stand in for my dear cutey bun," Julius explained, "But yes, I recall the recruitment of this menagerie. How could I not, since my dear Alexandra was asked to accompany you all." "As for what I am used to, well, in Dovania, I am an investigator. I look in to the less obvious happenings in the capital and collect information there. Its a bit more paced than that of the average guard, but still rather slow over all. Thankfully there aren't all that many people whispering in the shadows of Dovania. There were a few busy weeks early in the war and after Phineas's group first left Dovania, but its since normalized."
[5:59 AM] LadyDeme: "Well, when the other person's involved, it's different; I more mean in terms of setting a scene; as I said, I've seen the light through art more than my personal affairs." She could see immediately how Alexandra would have at first fought with this guy bitterly. "That you are 'stepping in' is because she was ordered. She's admitted, neither of you would be here without your queen's wishes... You'd be defending Dovania, and more power to you." She tilted her head, and stretched out her arms behind her. "Interesting; it seems a pretty well-managed place to be, then." They'd eventually find another door with a striped vase. "Is this the right part of the hallway?"(edited)
[6:15 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "I suppose so, yes," Julius chuckled again, "Why, way back when, I remember being in a similar situation to Isodore's friend there. Alexandra and I, we'd scheduled an afternoon together you see. Remembering the pose from paintings and the like, I decided to mimic it while I waited. Don't worry though, I was fully clothed. Simply laying on my side with a rose held in my mouth." "I'd neglected to check the rose for thorns, however. When I pricked my tongue on one, the instinctual reaction had me bite down on the rose itself," He laughed some more, "As you can imagine, I was spitting out the rose and heading for the restroom in an instant. Opening the door, I bumped in to who else but Alexandra herself. With blood running down my face like I was a monster of the night." He cleared his throat, "Ah yes, that makes more sense. Both she and I, we love our country, our city and our queen greatly. It is not easy to be away for so long." Examining the vase and door, this one on the opposite side of the hall from Isodore's lover, he nodded, "I see. I must have come from the other direction last time. That explains why I was certain it was on my right hand side."(edited)
[6:32 AM] LadyDeme: "Oh goodness," she chuckled into her hand, just imagining it. She wouldn't claim that she'd never gotten carried away herself, and ended up in a silly situation.. But that was a story for another time, probably. "Right. Point is, right now... Things are fairly good, so joining isn't quite as foolish as it might have been. Though, I take it, had Alexandra needed you to, it wouldn't have made a difference. Which I think means you're well-suited." She gave him a look like 'you sure this is the right door?' before she swung it open once again. "Hope you're decent!"
[6:50 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: She was. The noblewoman was sitting back in to a cushioned chair, with her blouse pulled over her stomach and a hand over her belly. The bump was considerably more noticeable without anything in the way to obscure it. Alexandra looked up, opening her eyes, "Delphine! I see my dear Julius found a friend. That does explain the wait," Alexandra smiles, waving them in with her other hand. Julius brushed past Delphine to give Alexandra her plate. He set it on the end table beside the chair, then took a seat of his own, "My Dear." "Thank you Julius, love."
[1:27 PM] LadyDeme: "That, and some delays in the kitchen." It didn't seem worth describing otherwise as Delphine sauntered on into the room, giving Alexandra a little wave and a smile. The room was well-furnished, the sun causing the bed to seemingly glow. having a sumptuous bed and a few chairs,, aside from the fireplace that, today, probably lay quiet. "You've got an interesting fellow here," Delphine commented, a big grin on her face. "I think he'll be well-placed, for the time being."
[1:35 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Hmm... I can understand delays, what with having recently been under occupation," Alexandra nodded, waving back and pulling the blouse over her stomach, "I'm glad you found time to stop and chat before we have to part ways for now." She chuckles, sitting up and taking the plate in her lap, "I hope he didn't spook you. He's quite the creative man, a wonder someone like me fell for him. I trust you are well?"
[1:43 PM] LadyDeme: "Indeed. I'm sure they're glad to have things back to normal... But like any change, it unsettles thing a little. And I doubt the crew is at full size, any more than anything else." Delphine said with a nod, considering the state of the kitchen staff. Yes, she'd likely have to be running a ghost crew, or cast for new hires, for a while. "I am. I think we've figured out the itenerary; we'll actually be heading to Damona once more, a full loop of our journey... But we'll be going by way of Amarana, and so I'll be going on ahead; I'd like to have as much time to oversee the rebuilding and to put the people at ease while I have the chance... So it's all the more fortunate we had time to talk now."
[1:54 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Alexandra nodded. "Fortunate indeed then. I'll soon be leaving directly for Dovania. The Queen requested my return upon learning of my situation. Thankfully, she was lenient in her punishment. At least as much as one could have expected for offenses like mine. I need only to retire my title as captain to evade persecution," Alexandra explained, occasionally stopping to take a bit from one of the fish. For a woman normally so restrained, she ate with particular gusto. "I am deeply sorry, dear Delphine, that I won't be able to visit your home this time. I will have to make sure to visit on a later date. Once the war is concluded and the child is well enough for travel," Alexandra smiled, wiping a crumb from the corner of her mouth.
[2:38 PM] LadyDeme: "What a shame." It struck Delphine as a dumb rule to begin with, but she supposed it wouldn't be changing any time soon. Even though she sighed and shook her head... She also knew it was, in some ways, a lucky break. "Still, it worked out not as bad as it might have, which is a relief. With any luck, you'll enjoy the work you can do as simply a mother and noblewoman, and not get the chance to be bored." Delphine waved it off; her heart picked up its pace, thinking about what lay ahead. Her eyebrows locked into a determined smile that brushed aside her nerves. "I think it's for the best; right now, it's... Well, all of Floribar isn't really ready for visitors if they aren't willing to sell us supplies or food, or to do work or live here again. But I'm looking forward to the chance I'll get to show it off one day."
[3:15 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Speaking truly, the majority of my work comes from my position as advisor. I'll still have plenty of work, more than likely. What work I miss will eventually be replaced by child care," Alexandra admits. "I look forward to see it upon restoration then. Hopefully things will normalize quickly now that Floribar is under its own control again." "Oh! Speaking of supplies and restoration... Julius, the staff please," Alexandra set the plate back on the end table, carefully taking to her feet. A moment later, Julius handed her a long, deceptively simple staff. "Delphine, my dear friend, I trust you remember my Reblow Staff?"
[3:22 PM] LadyDeme: "Ah, so those are seperate matters; that's good." Her position had become something of a terrible knot of titles, duties, and honors, hadn't it? So Delphine mused. She nodded, sharing earnestly in that hope. It was something she was starting for -- perhaps like Alexandra, the war was only a beginning to something... Though, for Alex, the beginning overtook the war. "Why, yes, I do," she said, her eyebrows raised as the staff itself made an appearance.She'd been impressed by its power -- with that, Alexandra had been able to heal from across a small battlefield. She admitted, jokingly, "I can only hope you're not dangling it in my face before you go without reason."(edited)
[3:34 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Of course not, Delphine. I'd like to entrust it to you, if you would carry it," Alexandra smirked, "It's served me quite well, and I've grown accustomed to it. But now with my leaving the fray, I feel it would be better served in your own hands. It may not be especially potent, as I've learned, but it's sheer utility of reach has more than made up for that in the situations that called for it." "So please, humor this former guard and carry her staff."
[4:20 PM] LadyDeme: Her smile pressed a fold into the corners of her eyes, a little sentimental for the occaison. It felt like a sort of trust. The staff had a sort of warm glow within it, from the magic that had been inside of it, and from the effort that had been put into taking care of them all. "Absolutely. I'm sure it'll continue to serve us well. Thank you." She accepted it with a nod of her head, gracefully.(edited)
[4:31 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Thank you Delphine. It means a great deal. Makes it easier to stomach my departure, since I'm still helping at least in some small way," Alexandra smiled, somber yet obviously grateful. She took a breath, returning to her seat, "Enough of that though. Is there anything else you had wanted to talk about before we part ways?"
[4:58 PM] LadyDeme: Delphine tilted her head... At the moment, she wasn't entirely sure -- while this would be a good chance to get some advice, as much as she worried about what was ahead... That was also for her to worry about. If she had a specific dilemna, then that might have been different. "I'm fine chatting a while... But for something specific, I think instead, I'll wish us both luck." Delphine said with a smile and a shrug. Had she a drink, she would have toasted; alas, she came up empty in that regard. Perhaps another time, then.(edited)
[5:59 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Chatting is just fine. We thank you for your kindness and prayers," Julius smiled, "I believe I can speak for both of us when I saw we wish you the same." Alexandra sighed quietly, Luck, huh? "May Olphira watch over and protect you," She nodded.
April 28, 2017
[8:58 AM] LadyDeme: "And may Zyenar fill your time with songs," seemed to be the sort of answer Alexandra would prefer, so she might as well give it. She settled into an overstuffed chair across from Alexandra. "But, for the time being, if you wouldn't mind the company... Do you have any names in mind?"
They'd talk, mostly about the baby, or Dovonia, or Amarana, or nothing (they stopped in to mention Isodore's lover, to more laughter) long after the fish fillets are gone.
[8:58 AM] LadyDeme: == RP End ==



No comments:

Post a Comment