Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Looking to Home


March 7, 2017
[4:18 PM] LadyDeme: Dawn crept up the sides of the trees that sheltered the caravan. The horses huffed and whinnied, penned in among themselves and already grazing in the morning light. The embers of the watchfire were still warm, and waiting to be turned and called back to life for the morning's breakfast, and to be carrried on, if reduced. The night before, they'd crossed over, past the ruins of what has been a border guardhouse. They'd crossed over into Floribar. And so through the grey and rosey dawn moved a hooded figure wearing a cloak that suited itself to the season, protecting the wearer fro the chill of a fall morning, where the air was turning crisp and bright. The figure hesitated frequently as it crossed from one of the wagons, where many of the troops had taken up sleeping (the autumn mornings left the ground dewy: the light steps of the hooded figure left droplets springing from the grass), to the wagon that held their supplies: a loaner, a blessed rest for their pack animals. Her hands emerged from the cloak, and nervously, began to take things. salted and preserved food -- more than one person's share, for certain. Mostly hard-tack and salted meat and things that could be carried easily. A few canteens of water followed, vanishing into a pack. The figure held up one last thing and sighed, shaking its head. The pack it carried wasn't empty before that, either. It had healing staves strapped to the sides, and a fair bit of money: not Arcian coins, either, but plain, unstamped gold coins. The figure hefted it up, and looked skyward for just a moment, lingering there on the edge of the supply wagon.
[4:34 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Alexandra walked nearby. As much as she loved the more, it was difficult to to properly appriciate them when she usually found herself vomitting. But today was a lucky day. Olphira had been kind enough to give Alexandra back her faculties for this morning, and she intended to fully use the opportunity to once again appriciate the morning.
[4:41 PM] LadyDeme: The figure lowered its head again, and closed up its pack, adjusting the cloak briefly to slide it on underneath it, letting her figure speak less obviously as to what she was carrying. The figure wasn't intending to run any extra risk. The hood of the cloak bobbed, and then the figure began to walk away. She spotted Alexandra, walking in the morning -- but right now, she wasn't sure what the woman would say. And so she said not even a greeting, but hurried past as quickly as she could.
[4:43 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Who..? I can't tell with that hood. Alexandra watched the figure scurry by, turning to keep her eyes on them, "You there, who are you? What's the rush, you nearly ran in to me."
[5:04 PM] LadyDeme: Delphine lifted up her head, stopping in her tracks. The hood fell briefly from over her face, revealing care-worn eyes. Her smile didn't move her cheeks, or play at the edges of her eyes, but she offered it the same. Inside, she was inventing some new cursewords to explain how she was feeling. Still, she kept her tone as usual, skipping over the words like a playful filly. She even chuckled, gripping the strap of her pack more tightly beneath her cloak. Its weight threatened to pull her down into the depths -- or so it felt. "My apologies, Alexandra, but I simply can't tarry today."
[5:07 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Is something the matter, Delphine?" Alexandra asked, "I'll always listen if you need, its the least I can do." Why was she hiding her face... I hope she's not caught up in anyone nonsense.(edited)
[5:41 PM] LadyDeme: "I don't know what's the matter, now, do I?" She replied, airily -- and then paused. Alexandra didn't deserve her sarcasm, if that's what it was -- she didn't know how to class it, only that it was born of from the way her stomach tightened and churned, swishing about in her like an intemperate sea. Her head bobbed down briefly, and she adjusted her hood back up. She waved a hand. "I'm fine, on a personal level. I'm just....Going off the main route today. For a little hike, that sort of thing. It's good to get away and be alone," Commented the girl who, frankly, often got away, but was almost never interested in being alone.(edited)
[5:45 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Hmm. I'd offer to come along, truly, but I doubt I should chance anymore stress in my state," Alexandra nodded, ignoring the sarcasm, "Has something happened to a friend? Viana? Persephone?"
[6:00 PM] LadyDeme: "Well, Persephone is...Troubled. She lost a whole world she'd built in her heart -- a universe that might have been real, if the one it was made for could have but held it up. But no, none of them."
Delphine's shoulders sagged a little, admitting this. Yes, she wanted to comfort Persephone as best she could, at this time. And there was Rieze's wounds, which worried her. And there was more, even in the army. But she adjusted her footing on the grass, sending a few more dewdrops. Her expression grew slowly -- not grave, but her smile looked nervous and sad. "I'm going to see what state my home is in. Maybe even now there's something I can do. If not -- I can prepare. I... I just want to know."
[6:10 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "I... wish there was some way I could accompany you. I could send one of my attedants with you," Alexandra offered. Blasts. How could I be so insensitive as to forgot Persephone's situation... I also must make time to talk to the woman...
[7:32 PM] LadyDeme: "Ah, tempting as the offer is, I think I'll be able to manage by myself. I hope to catch back up by nightfall." She gave Alexandra a sympathetic nod, respecting that offer -- but she didn't think an attendant would make it much easier. More secure, perhaps, but then she'd have a relative stranger to worry about, and to explain things to.
[7:34 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "I hope you do, and that you don't find anything unpleasent in your home. I wish I could see the castle that raised such a great person," Alexandra smiled.
[8:35 PM] LadyDeme: Delphine blinked, as if suddenly thrown off-course by the sudden praise. A faint blush momentarily hit her cheeks. Well, then again, she had been looking into the matter of helping her out...And in the end, it felt like it ought to be: a compliment for the home that had protected her, at cost of themselves. And, in some ways, they still were. She smiled valiantly. "...I know it's gonna be unpleasant. But that's rather what I'm hoping to see, too. After the war, you should find some time to drop by, and see how things go... Whatever its circumstances now, I will restore it to being that place, and better."
[8:39 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "Given my situation, I don't know how soon I'll be able to visit, but I think I'd very much like to," Alexandra nods, "Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. I'm sure during the time I'll have to wait before visiting , you'll have made your home even more gorgeous."
[9:10 PM] LadyDeme: "Of course, of course -- when next you have the chance to see it, the city of brick, home of my fathers, shall be a city of marble, guarded by a castle of art. We shall be a jewel upon the shores of the sacred lake. So I expect you to build anticipation." She gestured openly with her arms, as if to try and paint in her motions the granduer she'd imagined as a girl -- now, something that felt almost comical. Her county was no longer a place on a map, even if the city remained. It'd suffered for 3/4ths of a year now under enemy occupation, after its soldiers were massacred. And she had no idea how deep that damage went. That dream was a worried little pinprick in her heart, even as she sold it with a smile. So she adjusted her pack and gave Alexandra little nod. "But first, I need to begin thinking about it, and to know its needs. If you don't need me for anything, I'm off to do that, so that I'll not be left behind."
[9:12 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: "But of course," Alexandra nods, "I'll continue enjoying this calm morning, a prized rarity nowadays."
March 8, 2017
[6:41 AM] LadyDeme: "Please do -- it's a precious treasure in its own right, a serene and peaceable morning." She began her march out of the circle of wagons, and down the road towards Amarana once again. No matter the condition of the homes along the countryside so far -- even the Ethysian homes and towns they'd passed had an odd atmosphere -- the roads were still clean and worn-in from the frequent marches of boots, and the rolls of horses. Armies still marched. And today, so did Delphine, giving a wave over her shoulder.
[11:44 AM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: Alexandra waved in response. How things have changed. A year ago, I'd never so much as imagined leaving Dovania. But now it doesn't seem so bad. This venture I've been sent on has changed me when I thought it impossible. I pray to Olphira that it is for the better.
[12:29 PM] Ulamog, the Omnom Cthulhu: == === ==



No comments:

Post a Comment