Friday, December 23, 2016

Sapphires in the Sand and A Rare Sight Indeed!


LadyDeme
-12/23/2016

The water lapped gently on the shore -- a soft whisper of the tide, moving slowly in and slowly out, the early morning light turning it sheets of dappled silver-blue and black. The sand was pale and fine beneath Delphine's feet, a little wind rushing against her face with a cool twinge. She'd left the hotel early, and so the stands along the beach were just setting up; the people were bustling about. From time to time, Delphine got up to lend a hand -- there, a woman trying to set up an awning needing a hand to hold it, a box come teetering on the edge... A musician needing just a little starter money, to lure in people to toss coins into his hat. And between them, Delphine went back to her place, on a large rock between the shops and the water. The young woman had a her notebook propped on her raised knee, and was gradually making a very light, loose sketch on a long loose sheet of paper-- a break from the usual poetry and historical notes, but not too out of place. And there, in light strokes, she rendered the opening of the day, by the people -- catching the sea to one side of them. Here, the sketch was developing a few of the Arcian ticks -- she worked in with the light, because Delphine had marked a few spots with charcoal, making sure the scene was cast in this real dawn light. The occaisonal detail of a face or thing had been caught, swimming in a sea of white. She checked the scene again and again, adding this or that as she went -- her brow intently furrowed, her expression a sort of frustrated happiness, in enjoying the salt air and the inspiration.

Abyssal John John-12/23/2016

A young man walked out onto the beach. Behind him were Seven Baby Wyverns waddling in unison, while an eighth different looking Wyvern was being held in his arms. Mateus looked out to the scenic view seeing the ocean spread for miles and miles. "So this is one of those Arcian beaches I've heard so much about. Its pretty beautiful." Mateus looked down to his seven Wyverns. "You guys can go and play around. Just don't get too close to the water alright." The seven baby wyverns rushed off as delighted shrieks started to fill the beach. Meanwhile Mateus sat down in the sand as the eighth Wyvern made a quiet shriek "I know I know. I should be looking for that Finn guy but this beach was just too good to pass up. We're just going to stay here for a while before we try to find him." Mateus sighed. He knew that Finn's group was staying in Fostisia but finding them out was going to be the hard part. Well at least with how much he got distracted. He continued watching his Wyverns making sure they didn't start any trouble.

LadyDeme-12/23/2016

Delphine turned her head towards this group of trundling little wyverns, rushing about the beach. Their antics put a smile on her face as the air filled with their happy shrieks merged with the cries of seagulls, causing her to momentarily put down her sketchbook. Baby wyverns probably did not have a place in this drawing... Probably. On the other hand, her blue-grey eyes narrowed with a coy and devious look. This was an artist's inspiration, wasn't it? She placed down the sheet she'd been working on the rock beside her and -- and a wind gusted up, running through her tri-braided hair. The waves leapt a little higher on the shore, and the awnings of the shops all fluttered in a wind, wet with sea spray. The wind reached down and siezed her paper, pulling it away. It fluttered like a white seabird. "What an ill wind..." Delphine muttered to herself, reminding herself this would probably become comedy over time, as she tried to run after it. All the while, it fluttered towards some of Mateus' wyverns, and Mateus himself.(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/23/2016

As the gust of the wind blew through Mateus felt it and was slightly annoyed. "Geez. Was hoping there wouldn't be any winds...." After the wind had blown over the next thing Mateus saw was a woman chasing after a piece of paper and it seemed like Adrammelech and Famfrit must have thought of as a game as they began to chase after the paper as well. "By the gods.....Adra! Famfrit! Don't touch that paper!" Mateus let Zodiark out of his arms as the Green Wyvern curled into a ball in the sand as Mateus also started to chase after the piece of paper as he quickly caught up to it and lightly grabbed it out of the air. "There we go now. No escaping Mr. Paper." Mateus then turned to hand the paper to Delphine. "Here you go Madam."

LadyDeme-12/23/2016

The turning of recovering into her sketch into a game of wyvern fetch couldn't help but make the move of this from annoyance to comedy easy. Delphine chuckled as she chased it, and by the time the paper was caught, Delphine had a clear laugh lingering in her voice. "Well, thank you very much!" Do I look like a 'madam,' now? What a blow. Well, no sense complaining, Delphine mused to herself as she came to a halt, skidding up a thin layer of sand. She shook her head and accepted the sketch back, hardly the worse for wear. She straightened it out and nodded, before gently tapping it with the back of her hand. "What a troublesome thing -- artistic whims taking flight are for people, not objects." She gestured to the wyverns, since it seemed she was faced with this object of inspiration -- and curiosity. She leaned this way and that, a bright smile filling up her face. She wondered how they got to this position -- Ethysia felt like it'd be guarding their treasured war-mount a little bit more than this. Perhaps he'd come to join with rebels... But she decided to put that aside, for the moment. "Are all these yours? I admit, I didn't realize they hatched quite this small."(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/23/2016

Mateus beamed with an intense pride. "Yep! All 8 of these wonderful Wyverns you see here are my own! Everyone come on over!" 7 baby snake-likeWyverns of varying shades of blue ran over to Mateus forming a line in front of him. "Here we have Eden, Bleu, Adrammelech, Mist, Famfrit, Syldra, and Shemhazia!" Each Wyvern shrieked when their name is called to signify to Delphine who they were. "And then there's Zodiark....Hey Zodiark! Would you mind coming here for a bit please?" The Green Wyvern curled out from its ball and walked over to the others and it was easily noticeable that he was an entirely different breed then the first seven with his more bulky and built body and the fact that he had forelegs as well. When Zodiark got in line Mateus continued. "And this shy one is Zodiark and I'm Mateus the head of this lovely family! It's nice to make your acquaintance!"

LadyDeme-12/23/2016

She nodded to each one in turn -- maybe it was because their little sound-off was so well-meaning, but she couldn't help but grin with delight, and chuckle to herself while she listened. She could almost imagine that he'd eventually have them doing coreographed song and dance numbers or something. "Well, it's a pleasure... I'm Delphine." She gave a little extra attention to Zodiark, who seemed rather unlike the wyverns she'd seen previously -- both on the field, as enemies, and Neltharion. She peered down at him, leaning a bit forward. "Little Zodiark's rather different from the normal sort of wyvern, right?"

Abyssal John John-12/23/2016

As Delphine peered at Zodiark the Wyvern feeling a bit intimidated with the attention. Mateus picked up Zodiark as the Wyvern buried it's head in his Chest. "He sure is! A nice Royal Family I worked under for a while gave him to me since we grew so attached to each other!" She'd probably call the guards or something if I told her I kidnapped him. I mean he was being abused and it was the right thing but..... Mateus turned his attention back to Delphine. "His old owner never told me where he came from but he must come from somewhere far away right? In all my travels I've never seen any other Wyvern that looks anything like Zodiark!" The other seven quickly dispersed going off to play on the beach yet again. "That reminds me I've never asked you for your name! How rude of me? Would you mind telling me your name?"

LadyDeme-12/23/2016

She smiled and shook her head; he'd gotten so distracted thinking about Zodiark that he must have already forgotten. She gently gave them both a bit of space. "I just told you; I'm Delphine. I can occaisonally be called Delphi or some other things, but I'm really not particular as to the worth of my name." That information -- well, there was only one royal family that'd have access to a specific wyvern, isn't it? -- the implication momentarily made her face fall a notch, before she rallied. "So, you no longer work for them, then? The Ethysian Royal Family, I take it?" She didn't look at Zordiark for fear of spooking him, but gestured in his general direction as if to say 'where else would you get such a unique breed of wyvern'?

Abyssal John John-12/23/2016

Mateus gasped in surprise. "You did did you? Sheesh. I'm sorry then Delphine! I would probably forgot my own name if I didn't write it down everyday." Shemhazia run over to Mateus shrieking. "What is it Shemhazia?" Shemhazia shrieked and Mateus smiled. "Yep my name is Mateus! Thanks Shemhazia." The Wyvern ran away back to play with the others as Mateus answered Delphine's Question. "And yep the Ethysian Royal Family gave Zodiark to me and I've been grateful to them to ever since!" Mateus looked to Delphine again. "Are you interested in Wyverns Delphine?"
December 24, 2016

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

"It's fine; a name's the least valuable thing about a person -- a capstone of something which exists, though not immutably, beyond it...Of course, if you have friends to help you with it, it's probably not so bad." Delphine said with some amusement; names weren't important to her, in the end. She listened to his (actually false) story, relieved that, even if they were opposed emotionally, they weren't likely to meet as actual enemies... Mostly. She nodded at this, with some relief. She gave herself a slight dramatic flourish with her hands while she answered, bringing her energy back up. "I'm interested in whatever wonder might be shown to me, or whatever I might hunt... But." A tender smile filled her face, perhaps a little shy. "Recently, my interest in wyverns has grown. My sister is a wyvern rider...So I guess I intend to put in a little research."(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

"Oh she's a Wyvern Rider! Now that's interesting! I've always considered becoming a Wyvern Rider when one of this guys got a bit older but I don't know....Putting one of them in danger like that rubs me the wrong way. And plus I can fight well enough in my own so everything should be fine!" Mateus had always thought about what he wanted his Wyverns to do when they grew up. His thoughts accidentally came out of his mouth. "Maybe I can make them Merchant Wyverns. Yeah....they can fly around and sell stuff."

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

"I think that would be a wonderful future for them. I'm sure there are other paths, though -- some animals can have long careers as breeding stock, or I'm sure you could train them for shows... But there's nothing wrong with seeing them helping transport good, either." Delphine could see an array of opportunities for the talents of the young wyverns -- though what Mateus intended was a matter, he seemed somewhat hesitant about it. But the love in that wish was clear enough that she leaned back and smiled. At the mention of fighting, her grey-blue eyes focused on him, sizing him up even as she seemed to look at the wyverns, or the sea... And then she fell back to actually looking at those things, a smile on her face. "Actually, before I got so pulled away, I intended a different purpose for them -- as muses, of a sorts; a wonder that ought to be spun out to be remembered, since it's an unusual sight to see."

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

Mateus nodded. "Yeah. I can just worry about their futures later. They still have a long life ahead of them so I'm not too worried just yet." When Delphine mentioned his wyvern as muses Mateus gave an intrigued look. "My Wyvern as muses? That sounds interesting. I guess it is an unusual sight to see eight wyverns playing on a beach huh?" Seeing eight Wyverns all at once is a pretty unusual sight but thinking about when Mateus joined up with Prince Mateus it was going to become a pretty common sight for everyone there. Hopefully no one in Prince Finn's group has a problem with the Wyverns....

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

"That's right; I'm from Floribar originally, so I'd never seen something like that... And it seemed to me a worth preserving; a moment where things might have been as they could be, and there'd be nothing out of place of a hodgepodge family of Ethysian wyverns frolicking in a cool Arcian shore." She was already imprinting on herself their little current frolics, as the brisk water rose and fell on the shore with rivulets cutting through the sand. The dawn and the seaspray across their scaley backs, and everything seemed fresh and clean. If there'd been a little pegasi there, it'd have been a perfect symbol of something that could have been beautiful, or even a dolphin out in the waves. Perhaps, in one version of that capture, she could have it. But the Arcian way was to see the feeling in what was. Delphine frowned and put her chin in one hand, giving it a bit of semi-serious thought before sighing. She put her thoughts into some rapid-fire musings as to the possibilties, leaning this way and that as she returned to the thought that'd been swept up -- poetry or prose or visual arts? " I hadn't decided yet how I'd do it, though. It's not just a matter of symbolic emotional value, but also the aesthetic beauty and the simple joy of it, which is worth considering , and the needs of the moment could be expressed in a variety of ways, from a variety of needs, you see."(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

"Aaaaah okay."Mateus nodded understanding most of what was said. Actually about half. Okay maybe he actually understood less then half. "I don't think I understood most of that artsy stuff you said but I'm pretty sure you can make a pretty picture out of my Wyverns doing their thing. Hopefully Famfrit and Syldra don't start fighting though. That would probably ruin it all." Mateus looked down to Zodiark who was still had his face buried in his chest. "You want to play so you can be in the picture too Zodiark?" The Green Wyvern peeked its head out for a brief second before giving a tiny shriek as a response. Mateus sighed. "Don't be that way Zodiark. Del...Deli...Delphine here is going to make a really nice picture and I want you to be in it too." Zodiark made a tiny shriek again before burying himself in Mateus's chest again. Mateus sighed.

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

"So you'd prefer a picture, then? I'll see what I can sketch up, but it'll be a sketch so I can oil paint it later," Delphine explained, accepting quietly that her questions of medium were a bit lost outside her head. It happened. She shrugged, and walked back to her notebook by the rock, but gestured for the conversation to continue there. "So if you want to see what I do with this collection of gestures and junk, you'll have to come by my hotel-- oh, though even then, I guess I can't be sure I'll be here long enough to finish." She picked up her pencil and started applying a few loose strokes, just the sort of lines the long, serpentine bodies of the young wyverns formed as a base. "You know the best one in the city? It's really nice, even if the decor sometimes doesn't completely succeed in its blending of culture influences."

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

"Oh! The one that Prince Finn is staying in right? I was actually going to head there after everyone was done here." The gears in Mateus's head started turning until the young man came to a realization. "Actually Delphine. Do you work for Prince Finn by any chance?"(edited)

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

Delphine nodded, her pen continuing onward. What it looked like she was composing was not a single, complete picture -- rather, she rapidly made some gestures of the poses, as quicky as she could, racing (and failing to race) to capture some of the motion before it changed. Here and there, though, where their specific positions did not catch her eye, she sketches around the margins of her notebook quick details, caught by a speedy eye -- here, the shape of the wing as it folded, scribbled roughly. Here, the way the tail coiled to support a spring forward into the surf. "I do in fact. Well. He has my loyalty. Both personally and as a matter of business. His battle is my battle, and I'm under his command." Delphine responded, after wrestling with the grander questions of to what extent her philosophical objections to the notion of a dynastically-sworn fealty abutted her practical reality, that she trusted Finn and believed his rule would one day be best for her people. This was almost as bad as when she debated the same arguments concerning her people's loyalty to her. In the end, though, she delivered her stance with a flourish and a smile.

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

"Oh that's great! I've been trying to find him to give my services to him! It'd be great if when you went back if I could join you?"

LadyDeme-12/24/2016

"Really? What about your debt to the Ethysians?" Delphine wasn't exactly sure what was up, but even if she kept speaking in a normal tone, she was not testing to see what it was. She rested her pencil for a moment and looked up at his face. "We are at war with them, after all."(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/24/2016

Mateus laughed. "I'm not really at debt to anyone see. I'm just a traveling Mercenary who works for whoever pays me. I just leave a good impression on most of my clients that's all!" Mateus smiled with great pride before continuing. "But you see the reason I want to fight for Finn is different. I want to try and end this war as possible so people can be happy and at peace. I might have worked for the Ethysian Royal Family but I can't stand this war going on anymore. That's why I want to end it so Junith can be a much better place! I really backed myself into a corner with that Ethysian Royal Family lie. Hopefully it doesn't pop up around anyone else.....(edited)
December 25, 2016

LadyDeme-12/25/2016

"So that's the value of your gratitude, hm? Remind me to invite your fury." Delphine said, her voice light teasing. At some point, he'd been lying -- and badly. And now it was just a matter of where. The obvious points was where he'd gotten the Wyverns, or that his intentions were sincere... So Delphine stood up and looked him dead in the eye as she spoke. "It's an admirable wish. It has its problems as well, of course -- when you think about it practically, if all you wanted was fighting to stop, you'd be encouraging surrender, not resistance... But I understand your meaning. There's a peace on the other side of this... And we want it quickly, and without it becoming a desert." Delphine said, thinking in her heart about the peace she wanted, at the end -- a peace that was itself a mountain to climb. Maybe she wouldn't be able to do it -- but she'd have to, in whatever way she could. "What would the peace you want look like, if you don't mind me asking?"(edited)

Abyssal John John-12/25/2016

Mateus stroked his chin making sure to not have Zodiark fall. "Hmmmm. Well I guess the peace I want is like the peace I had back when I was a kid. Back then everything was much simpler and everyone always helped each other and made sure everyone else was okay. Of course as a kid you aren't tied down by responsibility or anything like that and you're still pretty naïve of all the evil in the world. Like you said if all I wanted was the fighting to stop then I would just everyone to surrender but that would solve anything. No, it would just make things worse." Mateus paused for a bit. "I guess the kind of Junith I want after the fighting is done is a land where everyone is willing to lend a helping hand to each other, where it won't matter whether you're from Barentai, Ethysia, or Arcias you'll always lend a hand to another fellow human in need. I know it'd be impossible to wipe all evil out but if we can just have most people smiling without having to worry about a war tearing their lives apart I'll be happy." Mateus sighed. In retrospect what he said was a pretty childish wish but in a lot of ways he was still a child then a man. But that's just how I feel. There's no reason to lie about that.(edited)

LadyDeme-12/25/2016

Delphine tilted her head back and forth, a sway that sent her braids swishing like her thoughts, until -- "Ah, so my read of the moment... Was a little correct," She mused. Yes -- that had been what she'd intended to capture. And it had been given and meant sincerely -- looking at Mateus' face as he sighed, let down by the innocence of his dream. She didn't think it was disappointing, even if it wasn't going to be perfectly acheivable. "I think it's a beautiful ideal, not to be ashamed of. If that's how it is, then I guess I can allow you to escort me back to my hotel, maybe meet my boss, and so on. Sound good?" Delphine offered up with a wink and a smile.

Abyssal John John-12/25/2016

Mateus nodded. "That sounds great! I would really appreciate that Delphine!" Mateus looked to his Wyvern still happily playing on the beach. "Just tell me when you're ready then. I think the little ones still want to play for a bit."

LadyDeme-12/25/2016

"Of course; wouldn't want to distract them with all our talk of war and peace." And so they spent a while watching them, with Delphine taking notes both in drawing, correcting earlier details as she spotted similar poses and angles -- every now and then holding her pencil at arm's length as a sight -- and in writing, jotting down sea-salt scales and the footprints look like a wading bird's, until the page was rather crowded, and the wyverns were running low on energy. She got up from the rock and cracked her shoulders with a loose swinging motion, before turning sprightlily around. "That should satisfy matters! Shall we go?"

Abyssal John John-12/25/2016

Mateus nodded. "All right then! Eden!" At the call a small wyvern quickly ran to Mateus's side. "Can you call the others. It's time for us to leave." The Wyvern nodded before she let out a shrill cry as six other small Wyverns ran up to her. Mateus bent down and let Zodiark go as he joined the others and then he pat Eden on the head. "Good job Leader. I can always count in you!" Eden made a proud shriek in response. Mateus turned to Delphine. "Well shall I lead the say madam?" Good thing I already know where the hotel is. Though even if I didn't it probably wouldn't be too hard to find anyway....
December 26, 2016

LadyDeme-12/26/2016

Delphine was smiling uncontrollably, her cheeks almost hurting from how precious that was. She nodded, tucking her supplies under one arm. "Well, let us away. I know the way, so I don't think you need to lead... But it'll be pretty great to see the train of wyverns, like ducklings following their mother, from behind." She had a feeling that when he walked, it'd be like that -- like he was an outsized mother duck with a little brood, and the thought was clearly infectiously cheery to the young woman -- spurring memories of that time the goose boy had had to go wading in a pond, trying to detach a line of babies into the water.

Abyssal John John-12/26/2016

Mateus nodded. "Alright then! Come on guys, off to finest Arcian Hotel around!" Mateus started proudly walking to the hotel as seven wyverns waddled behind him and one walked on all fours. As they marched only one thing went through Mateus's mind. Hopefully Prince Finn is alright with me having eight Wyverns. Hopefully.
===END OF RP===

No comments:

Post a Comment