Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Worries of the Prince

Ignia-08/14/2016

Artemis had been carrying almost nothing but the necessities when she had left Floribar with Prince Phineas' group. The only extraneous thing amongst her logbooks and tomes was a small case. One that she was now pulling out from her bag in a little corner of the royal gardens. …it’s better than nothing.(edited)
Softly, gently, her hood remaining up, Artemis opened the case and assembled the three-part instrument. Before starting to play, she took a sip of her canteen and sat on the same bench she had rested her bag on. Scales, arpeggios, all were played as a warm-up. It’s been too long, old friend. With a smile visible even past the shadows her hood cast, Artemis began to play. Soft, sad, but still with skill and grace, she played her flute.

Suh dude-08/14/2016

While his soldiers went to explore the Castle, Finn was sucked into parlaying with Queen Isabella. Their conversation was much shorter than he expected, and he felt as if the Queen was being cold and throwing a blind eye to Floribar's plight. Needless to say, when he left the throne room, Finn was both mentally and physically exhausted. He contemplated resting in bed for the remainder of the day, but convinced himself otherwise. A Prince must not show fear in the face of his duty; he must lead his people by example. And so, not wanting to be known for hiding under the covers when things got tough, Finn walked the halls of the Castle. A tad stuffy, he commented as he navigated the labriynth of hallways and courtyards. The design was very different than Floribar's straightforward layout. Eventually he found his way to the Royal Gardens, where servants grew some of the most beautiful flowers in all of Damona. As he walked the hallway aproaching, he heard a somber song being played on a lone instrument. He approached quietly and listened in.(edited)

Ignia-08/14/2016

Softly, Artemis continued to play through her song, strands of her white hair falling out of the hood, her eyes closed. She was focused on little past the song, trying to filter out her sorrows through her instrument.

Suh dude-08/14/2016

Finn shuffled silenty to see a single figure in the room, surrounded by plants of varrying color and size. She wore a hooded cloak, obscuring his vision of her face. That's not one of mine, is it? he thought to himself. Finn took a seat on one of the benches on the opposite end of the room and continued to listen quietly.

Ignia-08/14/2016

While the soft final note of her song, the thunder mage finished her song. Resting her flute in her lap, she took a deep breathe in as she opened her red eyes...and promptly jumped up, clutching her flute, "Y-your highness! I was unaware that you had come in. My apologies." She ended her sentence with a small curtsy.

Suh dude-08/14/2016

At the conclusion of her song Finn had began clapping softly, as to not disturb the sernity of the environment surrounding them. With Artemis' sudden outburst of shock Finn could not help but chuckle. He stood and shortly bowed to her in return, "Lady Artemis, my apolgies if I frightened you. I was taking a walk when I became captivated by the melodic tunes I heard floating through the hallways."

Ignia-08/14/2016

For the sake of formality, Artemis removed her hood, flushing slightly at the compliment...which really showed up on her pale skin, "A-ah, thank you, your highness. This is my first bit of downtime in quite a while so I thought I should practice with my flute, so as to not be rusty."(edited)

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Yes, I believe it's the first but of downtime for any of us..." He responded empathetically. Finn let out a casual sigh as he sat back down and admired the scenery. "Have you been in practice for long?" He inquired.

Ignia-08/14/2016

Artemis sat back down on the bench she'd been previously sitting on and smiled thinking about the particular part of her past, "Yes. I've been practicing since even before I turned a decade old...my flute is simply a small comfort to play, no matter what situation I'm currently facing in my life."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Hmm... It's sad to say that my skills only extend as far as they archery course or political circle." He said as he furrowed his brow. Breathing in the nature around them he felt much calmer than he had in the Throne Room. "What drew you to this place?" The prince pondered.

Ignia-08/14/2016

Artemis looked around, breathing in the smell of the plants surrounding them, "These gardens...are calming, to say the least. And also out of the way. I didn't wish to disturb others with my playing."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"I hardly doubt they would consider your music a disturbance." He countered, "But I do agree... These gardens do have an air of familiarity about them. It reminds me of Floribar very much, except much brighter and less war-stricken." Finn held the head of a flower in his hand, absentmindedly ripping off the petals one-by-one as he spoke.

Ignia-08/14/2016

"Some prefer quiet to even a melody so I did not wish to upset amongst our group. But...yes, it's reminscent of times past in Floribar." She nodded, remembering, "Which, reminds me, your highness, how did the meeting with the queen go?"

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"It went... Not as I expected, to be frank," He sulked, "The Queen refuses to budge in her lack of full support for our cause. Other than a few more mercenaries like before, she says that 'Damonisn soldiers must remain at home'." The words sounded like venom even when he said them, and only furthered to lower his mood, "Alas, we will have to try to rally support from other countries. Perhaps we will fare better in Sir Erik's home of Arcias." He paused for a moment, unsure if he should continue his train of thought, but nonetheless continued, "I just pray we rally aid before Father's defense falls."

Ignia-08/14/2016

Artemis frowned softly upon hearing the news, taking her time to carefully disassemble the flute she'd been holding onto, "I see. With the forces we have, we should be able make a swift but careful journey to Arcias. Perhaps with Sir Erik with us...we may be able to garner more favor with the Archduke of Arcias." Hopefully, he doesn't attempt to remain neutral in this time of turmoil. But she added something to her words, in an attempt to reassure the prince, "I am sure that the king will hold firm, knowing that his son does whatever possible to rally aid for Floribar."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Yes, that is my hope..." He replied quietly. Finn stood up as Artmeis was putting away her instrument and walked over to a small stream flowing quietly though the garden, "Y'know, back in the capital we had a garden in the Castle... Nothing quite as major, but mother attended it with some of her most loyal servants..." Finn reminisced, "Did you visit the capital often? I seldom remember a moment when I wasn't meeting a traveling Count or Countess and their family."

Ignia-08/14/2016

"I attended boarding school in the capital, your highness. I was often more in the capital than I was in my family's own lands." Artemis smiled a bit sadly, closing the latches on her flute case.
"Even after graduating, I chose to serve as a mercenary for a time. I was one right up until the war began, really."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Ah, tis a shame we couldn't have met during better circumstances," Finn said, oblivious to the chord he might've struck, "The mercenary life doesn't seem like it befits one of noble status such as yourself, though. Why would you do so?"

Ignia-08/14/2016

"...Ah." Artemis quieted for a moment, thinking about real reason why she had traveled as a mercenary. Instead of choosing to bring up family matters, she chose a more diplomatic approach, that was mostly true. "I wanted to learn more about the world. There's a difference between seeing things in person and reading about them after all."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Yes, my only regret is not getting out of the Castle every so often. Though I don't think I like this way of 'seeing the world'." For a second he paused, "Where did you go, if you don't mind me asking? Have you any insight on our task at hand?"

Ignia-08/14/2016

"Even as a mecenary, it was not the best way to travel the world. I traveled for two years, on and off between the western kingdoms of this continent. Damona, Barentia, Celanthus and Arcias. I never had a job bring me to Gallibion." She sighed, thinking about Arcias and formulating her answer carefully, "For our task at hand...Arcias may be our closest option but I fear the Archduke's opinion of war. It is known that he has no taste for such things but he is fair to his people. Perhaps...we may be able to appeal to him by using Ethysian's threat, not just to Floribar but to Arcias, should Floribar fall."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

Finn was silent as he listened to the mage's words, nodding ocasionally, "Indeed, I've hard of his peaceful ways." He sighed, "But this is not a time for peace! The Dogs bark at our door and nobody seems willing to offer aid!" His voice was raising as his temper flared.

Ignia-08/14/2016

Behind him, Artemis started a bit as his raising voice, "Your highness..." She took a deep breath before speaking calmly, but softly, "What I imagine people have in mind is protecting their own countries, rather than thinking premptively to cut off the snake at its head. Think of it this way, your highness. In the worst case, if you send all your soldiers off to war in another country, you leave yourself open. Not just in the possible case of should your ally lose, but also in terms of bandits and brigands and the like. No matter what the world is like, there are always people willing to take advantage of everything."

Suh dude-08/14/2016

Soon after he opened his mouth Finn realized what he was doing. He cursed himself quietly as he listened to Artemis' words, then turned to face her. He bowed shortly again and spoke, "A thousand apologies, my lady, it was improper of I to speak in such a... emotional manner," he apologized. "However I just can't stand the thought of my countrymen in pain. With all the ground we lost to the Empire it will take much effort to drive them out of it. Even as I speak here, safe and sound, I know brave men and women are dying so that I may live. How much more suffering must Floribar withstand before other nations rise up?"

Ignia-08/14/2016

"Emotions run high considering the situation, your highness. Your anger shows that you are only human, not like the dieties who made this land." The mage's jaw clenched as she searched for her next words, "Please, allow the thought that brave men and women fight and die, not just for our royal family but in defense of their own home, drive you. May it propel you that ever bit closer towards our goal so that we may return home that much sooner and if even one more life is saved because of it, may we call it our victory." "So long as a member of the royal family lives so that we may rally behind you, Floribar will live and we will rebuild."(edited)

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Gods... Curse them. Sometimes I don't know if my prayers reach Baiame or not..." Finn trailed off, "However much, I'm glad to have such trusting and reassuring allies by my side for the time being. I pray our journies ahead are more fruitful then they are now."

Ignia-08/14/2016

"And as a child of Floribar, I will continue to serve as my duty asks. Please, if you have need to speak with someone, speak to myself or one of the others. Even the most powerful man in the world cannot do with confidants of some kind." "I swear to Ostus and Equona that as a mage and a tactician, that I will do everything in my power so that we will be successful in the journey ahead." She rested her hand above her heart as she made this vow.

Suh dude-08/14/2016

"Why thank you, milady. It does me well to hear that. Alas, I must go now, for I fear Sir Erik might throw a fit if I'm gone for so long." Finn said as he bowed for the last time, excusing himself from the gardens

Ignia-08/14/2016

Artemis curstied as the prince left, "Please give Sir Erik my regards, your highness. And may the rest of your day be as well as can be, despite the situation."
==END RP==

No comments:

Post a Comment